Search by item HOME > Access full text > Search by item

JBE, vol. 23, no. 6, pp.914-924, November, 2018

DOI: https://doi.org/10.5909/JBE.2018.23.6.914

Mobile Augmented Reality Application for Early Childhood Language Education

Sanghoon Kang, Minwoo Shin, Minji Kim, and Hanhoon Park

C.A E-mail: hanhoon_park@pknu.ac.kr

Abstract:

In this paper, we implement an Android application for infant language education using marker-based augmented reality. Combining animal word markers (noun), size/color word markers (adjective), and action word markers (verb) in puzzle form to make a simple sentence, the application shows virtual contents related to the content of the sentence. For example, when an animal marker is showed up on a camera, the corresponding animal appears. Additionally, when the motion markers are combined, the animal's appearance changes into an animation in which it acts. When a user touched a marker, user can hear the sound of the word, which gives an auditory effect, and by adding the rotation function, user can see the animation in any direction. Our goal is to increase infants’ interest in learning language and also increase the effectiveness of education on the meaning of words and the structure of simple sentences, by encouraging them to actively participate in language learning through visual and auditory stimuli.

Keyword: Augmented reality, marker-based, language education, Android application, Unity

Reference:
[1] I. S. Lee, An Influence of Forest Experience Activity on Child's Language Expression and Nature-friendly Attitude, MS Thesis, Sungshin Women’s University, p. 26, 2008.
[2] J. H. Kim, The Effects of Story Making Through Traditional Folk Tales on Young Children's Language Expression and Pro-social Behaviors, MS Thesis, Keimyoung University, p. 16, 2007.
[3] M. K. Kim, A Study on the Response of Young Children to Famous Picture Book, MS Thesis, Woosuk University, p. 1, 2001.
[4] W. J. Lim, A Study on the Effects of Imagery Training Using Visual and Auditory Tool on Kindergarten Children‘s Ability of Sentence Understanding, MS Thesis, Woosuk University, p. 2, 2010.
[5] S. I. Hong, S. I. Jeon, S. Pae, and I. Lee, “Development of phonological awareness in Korean children,” Communication Sciences & Disorders, vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 49-64, 2002.
[6] Y. Choi, J. Kim, and H. Park, “Face augmented reality using OpenCV library,” Proceeding of KIPS Conference, pp. 48-49, 2017.
[7] S. H. Jeong and K. B. Kyoung, “Educational application of augmented reality contents,” KCA Journal, vol. 5, no. 2, pp. 79-85, 2007.
[8] C. Chomsky, The Acquisition of Syntax in Children from 5 to 10, MIT Press, 1969.

Comment

Editorial Office
1108, New building, 22, Teheran-ro 7-gil, Gangnam-gu, Seoul, Korea
Homepage: www.kibme.org TEL: +82-2-568-3556 FAX: +82-2-568-3557
Copyrightⓒ 2012 The Korean Institute of Broadcast and Media Engineers
All Rights Reserved